Personal injury claims involving catastrophic injuries are usually highly complex. Victims who incur these types of life-changing injuries usually require ongoing or lifelong treatment and may never be able to work again to support themselves and their families.
In this post, we’ll take an in-depth look at a catastrophic injury claim, including what passes as a catastrophic injury and how compensation for such an injury is determined. Suppose you or your loved one suffered a life-threatening injury because of another person’s negligence, willful acts, or carelessness, our catastrophic injury attorneys at Pacific West Injury Law can help you get adequate recompense to cover your medical and other financial needs. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case, including whether your injury passes as a catastrophic injury.
What Is Considered a Catastrophic Injury in Las Vegas?
Catastrophic injury claims are different from your typical personal injury law claims – after sustaining a catastrophic injury, your life is permanently altered in one way or the other. Most often than not, these injuries usually require an extensive team of medical care professionals to attend to all the medical care that you may need.
These injuries may result from medical malpractice, car accidents, workplace accidents, or some other type of accident. The common types of catastrophic injuries that may result from malpractice or another party’s negligence include:
- Spinal cord injuries: These types of injuries can lead to victims suffering temporary or permanent, partial or full paralysis. Spinal cord injuries usually cause other medical complications such as intense pain, sexual dysfunction, or loss of bladder control.
- Internal organ damage: The damage could last a lifetime and can be fatal if not attended to.
- Traumatic brain injuries: While not all traumatic brain injuries are catastrophic, those that are can lead to temporary or permanent brain damage. It could also lead to memory loss, difficulty in walking or speaking, mood swings, and more.
- Amputations: While there are times when loss of limbs may not be life-threatening, such kinds of injuries are deemed catastrophic.
- Second or third-degree burns (severe): Depending on how severe the burns are, victims of such injuries may be disfigured severely to the point that they need multiple surgeries.
- Multiple compound fractures: Victims with such injuries may require physical therapy and surgery. In most cases, patients with such injuries develop debilitating arthritis in the course of their lives.
- Permanent vision or hearing loss: Victims who suffer either vision or hearing loss may need special devices, surgery, and rehabilitative care.
For a free legal consultation, call 702-602-HURT
How Are Damages for Catastrophic Injuries Calculated?
Each catastrophic injury is unique, and your attorney will need to consider many factors when determining the compensation value. Among the aspects that the attorney may consider include loss of wages, the medical care you have received and will need in the future, and more. Here is a breakdown of the damages that an eligible plaintiff may be entitled to:
- Past, current, and future medical care needed because of the injury
- Loss of income because you are unable to work and the loss of potential earnings
- Personal care attendants
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Psychological therapy or counseling
Catastrophic injuries attorneys at Pacific West Injury Law can help you determine the adequate amount of compensation you should get for your suffering. If need be, we’ll seek the services of a doctor to help us determine the extent of your injuries. This will help us determine the adequate compensation that can cover your medical and other needs.
How Is Loss from Catastrophic Injuries Measured?
Catastrophic injuries are usually characterized by loss of some sort like a limb, or sense through hearing or eyesight. Such losses increase the compensation for these injuries. Other losses occur through various traumas and medical procedures like pain and suffering that become continual. Such injuries that diminish the quality of the victim’s life usually lead to the compensation claims increasing. Part of the recompense that the victim is awarded is used to restore their mobility, assist with long-term recovery, and remove impairments. Suppose a catastrophic injury victim needs some form of corrective action such as their homes being fitted with medical equipment and tools for daily living, their compensation increases.
When Can You Seek Compensation for a Catastrophic Injury?
A lawyer will need to determine whether or not you are eligible to seek compensation for a catastrophic injury caused by another person’s negligence. Given how significant the damages that emanate from these accidents are, you can expect the insurance company to use every type of arsenal at their disposal to try and put some fault on you.
Because of this, it is recommended that you speak with a renowned lawyer as soon as possible before you talk with the insurance company. While insurance companies may sound concerned and friendly, they may employ clandestine tactics in a bid to get you to admit fault for your injuries.
The qualified attorneys at Pacific West Injury Law have vast experience and can assist you in determining whether or not you are eligible to seek recompense for your catastrophic injury claim. We strive to ensure that victims injured by reckless, negligent, or careless acts by others get adequate compensation to help them manage their injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Our Law Firm When You Need Experienced Legal Help
Our experienced team of legal professionals is always ready to help you with catastrophic injury claims. These types of claims are usually complex, have deadlines for applying for a claim, and most often drag on for long, as the guilty party attempts to portray you as being at fault for your injuries. Delaying to file a claim within the stipulated time may put you at risk of losing the opportunity to recover recompense for your injury.
Have you or your loved one been involved in a catastrophic injury in Las Vegas? Trust the 5-star law firm focused on you. Pacific West Injury Law firm can help you recover compensation for lost wages and medical expenses. You can call us at any time, 24/7, to schedule a free case review.