Pedestrians have as many rights on the streets of North Las Vegas as the drivers around them. Unfortunately, some drivers do not take adequate care to avoid the possibility of pedestrian accidents, which can result in severe injuries. Pedestrians have little protection from the pavement or from the items around them, which can result in multiple broken bones, traumatic brain injury, road rash, and more.
If you suffered serious injuries in a pedestrian accident, Pacific West Injury Law can help. Contact us today to learn more about your right to compensation after a pedestrian accident in North Las Vegas.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents?
Most often, pedestrian accidents occur due to negligence on the part of the driver. Drivers may completely miss the presence of pedestrians on the road. Pedestrians naturally do not fit the visual profile drivers look for when on the road, since they usually remain focused on vehicle-sized obstacles around them.
Unfortunately, this means that drivers who do not take extra time to look for pedestrians around them can substantially increase the risk of a severe accident. Common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Backing up without looking
- Turning, especially completing a left-hand turn, without looking
- Distracted driving, including using a cell phone or programming a GPS
- Failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks or to follow traffic signals
- Poor weather conditions, especially those that limit visibility
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
Pedestrian accidents may occur without warning, with little time for the pedestrian to get out of the way.
Who’s to Blame?
Most often, the driver that struck the pedestrian will bear liability for the accident. Drivers must yield to pedestrians on the road and should exercise care to avoid pedestrian accidents.
However, in some cases, the pedestrian may bear liability for the accident. Like drivers on the road, you must obey traffic signals and traffic laws, including laws regarding when and where you can safely cross the road.
A pedestrian who ignored those laws, especially one who may have ignored those laws due to inebriation, may bear partial liability for the accident.
Common Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident Case
Pedestrians may suffer a variety of injuries as a result of their collision with a passenger vehicle.
- Traumatic brain injury. According to the Mayo Clinic, traumatic brain injury can result in loss of long-term and short-term memory, challenges with focus and concentration, and emotional difficulties, including mood swings.
- Spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries can result in full paralysis below the site of the injury. Incomplete spinal cord injuries may simply result in a loss of function.
- Broken bones, especially in the hands and arms. Many victims throw out their hands to catch themselves as they fall, which may result in severely broken bones and a loss of independence and mobility while healing.
- Road rash. As the skin drags across the pavement in a serious pedestrian accident, it can result in severe road rash, which may show many of the symptoms and risks of a severe burn.
- Amputations. In severe cases, a pedestrian accident can result in complete loss of a limb, often due to the crushing force of the accident.
If you suffer any type of severe injury in a pedestrian accident, an attorney can help you understand your rights, including how much compensation you may deserve for those injuries. Contact Pacific West Injury Law to learn more.
After a pedestrian accident, you may have the right to claim compensation for your injuries. Typically, you will file a personal injury claim that goes through the liable driver’s insurance. You may have the right to compensation for:
- Your medical expenses related to your pedestrian accident injuries
- Wages lost if you could not return to work immediately
- Pain and suffering related to the accident
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Las Vegas, call 702-602-HURT
An Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help
Following a pedestrian accident, you may need an attorney to help you fully understand your right to compensation and put together an effective, compelling personal injury claim.
Many clients find that working with a North Las Vegas pedestrian accident lawyer can help increase the compensation they ultimately receive.
When you contact Pacific West Injury Law, we will go over the factors that led to your accident, including the liable party or parties and any other information about your accident, including the extent of your injuries. Next, we will help you understand your right to compensation, including how much compensation you may deserve and when to negotiate with the insurance company.
Throughout the claim process, we will work with you to ensure that you understand every step you need to take. We can take over negotiation with the insurance company for our clients, which frees them up to focus on their recovery.
Maximizing Financial Compensation
An experienced personal injury attorney like the legal team at Pacific West Injury Law can help you maximize the compensation you receive after your accident. Sometimes, the insurance company may attempt to decrease its financial burden by offering you a low settlement, by trying to prove that you caused or contributed to the accident, or by trying to show that you have exaggerated the extent of your injuries.
Many victims feel pressured to accept whatever compensation the insurance company offers, since they may need those funds fast or fear that they will miss out on compensation altogether.
Pacific West Injury Law can help. We work with our clients to help maximize compensation as much as possible, from investigating every element of the claim to ensure that you have identified all parties that may share liability to aiding in negotiations.
Las Vegas Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 702-602-HURT
Call Pacific West Injury Law Today for a Free Consultation
Did you suffer serious injuries in a North Las Vegas pedestrian accident? Pacific West Injury Law can help. Contact us today at (702) 602-4878 to schedule your free consultation.