Head-on collisions might be far less common than many other accident types. However, they are often overrepresented in accident fatality statistics due to the increased severity of these crashes as a result of the forward motion of both vehicles involved.
If you have been injured in a head-on car crash that was caused by a careless or reckless driver, you can seek compensation for your injuries through a personal injury claim. An experienced Las Vegas head-on collision attorney from Pacific West Injury Law can help you understand this process and may even provide services to assist you with your claim.
The Personal Injury Process After a Las Vegas Head-On Collision
Individuals who have been injured in a Las Vegas head-on collision can seek compensation for their injuries through the personal injury claims process. This process generally begins when the victim seeks assistance from an experienced Las Vegas head-on collision attorney.
The attorney will determine all sources of liability for the accident and all insurance resources that can be accessed to compensate the claimant for their injuries. They’ll send a demand letter on behalf of their client to the at-fault party’s insurance provider. The provider can either
- Pay the requested amount
- Deny the claim
- Negotiate with the attorney in order to reach an agreement with the claimant to settle the claim for less than its full value
If the insurance provider fails to make a fair settlement offer, the claimant and their attorney can file a personal lawsuit.
Settlement negotiations can continue after the lawsuit has been filed, even up to the point where the trial has taken place but the court has not rendered a decision. While still entertaining settlement offers, the claimant’s attorney will also begin gathering evidence and witness testimony in preparation for trial.
Only about 4% of all personal injury claims – including those involving head-on collisions – ever make it to trial, with the rest being settled outside the courtroom.
For a free legal consultation with a head-on collision lawyer serving Las Vegas, call 702-602-HURT
The Type of Compensation You Can Seek in a Head-On Collision Case
Individuals seeking compensation for the expenses and impacts of their injury can include in their personal injury claim damages such as:
- All past, current, and future medical expenses associated with the treatment of the injury
- Wage replacement for time missed from work and lost earning capacity
- Property damage incurred during the accident, such as damage to the claimant’s vehicle
- Physical pain and suffering or emotional distress arising from the injury
In certain cases, claimants can also seek punitive damages. Unlike the damages listed above, punitive damages aren’t awarded to compensate the claimant for the expenses and impacts of the injury. Rather, they’re awarded as a way to financially punish the defendant for particularly egregious behavior that led to the accident.
There are only limited circumstances where punitive damages are requested of and ordered by the court, including in claims involving intentional or wantonly reckless behavior.
Las Vegas Head-On Collision Lawyer Near Me 702-602-HURT
Proving Liability in a Las Vegas Head-On Collision Claim
The foundation of a successful personal injury lawsuit is the ability to prove that someone else was liable for the accident. Liability in head-on collisions is proven by showing:
- The at-fault party owed a duty of care to other users of the roadway to take reasonable actions to protect their safety and property.
- There was a breach in the duty that occurred when the at-fault party took unsafe or illegal actions that were contrary to the care they were required to take.
- This breach resulted in injuries due to a head-on collision.
- Those injuries resulted in damages, which caused the victim to subsequently suffer expenses and quality-of-life impacts as a result.
A head-on collision attorney in Las Vegas can investigate the circumstances around your case to determine who was at fault for your crash.
If You Have Lost a Loved One in a Las Vegas Head-On Collision
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), more than half of all motor vehicle accident fatalities occur in accidents involving a frontal impact to the vehicle, such as a head-on collision.
In Nevada, if a person dies in a head-on collision as a result of someone else’s negligence, their surviving family members or a personal representative of their estate can seek to recover compensation for the financial and psychological impacts of the loss through a wrongful death claim.
Like a personal injury lawsuit, this is a legal claim filed in civil court that seeks to prove who was liable for the accident and to show the expenses and impacts that were suffered as a result.
Compensation Available Through a Las Vegas Wrongful Death Claim
The compensation available in a Las Vegas wrongful death claim after a head-on collision includes:
- Payment for medical expenses incurred during the treatment of the decedent’s final injuries
- Reasonable costs associated with a funeral service and burial or cremation
- The loss of service and support that the decedent provided to their family members
- Grief and sorrow experienced by the decedent’s family members
- Loss of companionship, society, and comfort that was afforded by the decedent to their family members
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Long Do You Have to File Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Claims in Nevada?
As noted by Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) 11.190, victims seeking compensation for the expenses and impacts of an injury or a wrongful death have two years from the date on which the injury or death occurred to seek compensation through the civil courts.
This does not mean the case must be resolved within that time frame. It just means that the personal injury lawsuit must be filed in court within that time. Your Las Vegas head-on collision lawyer can ensure your claim is filed on time.
A Las Vegas Head-On Collision Lawyer Can Assist You with Your Claim
Attorney Kris Helmick, Esq. and his legal team are ready to help you learn more about the process of obtaining compensation for your injuries and the types of services we can provide to assist you. We understand that the expenses involved in being injured in an accident aren’t always monetary, and the pain incurred after a serious injury isn’t always physical.
Pacific West Injury Law will fight for your right to all the compensation that is available in your case. For your free case evaluation with a head-on collision lawyer in Las Vegas, contact our team any time.