What do you do after you get hit by a bird scooter? Do you trade insurance details with the other party? Such and other questions are the common causes of confusion that can make it complicated to seek compensation after a bird scooter accident.
Kris Helmick, one of the personal injury lawyers at Pacific West Injury Law, knows the complexities surrounding these types of cases. The young and hungry attorney will handle your case with vigor until you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages. Contact us immediately to start building your case against the liable parties.
Unsafe Bird Scooter Accident Practices in Henderson that You Can Sue for
Numerous types of risks are associated with the e-scooters rented out by Bird. Their riders, pedestrians, and other motor vehicle drivers frequently encounter dangerous situations as the scooters try to maneuver through Henderson’s busy roads and sidewalks. A fatal accident results from time to time.
The unsafe bird scooter practices in Henderson include, but are not limited to:
- Children riding on the e-scooters
- People using the e-scooters without helmets
- Riding the electric vehicles on sidewalks at their top speeds
- Leaving the electric vehicles unmanned on sidewalks after use
- Leaving the e-scooters in front of building entrances or exits, makes life difficult for handicapped individuals
- Two individuals or more riding on one e-scooter
For a free legal consultation with a Bird scooter accident lawyer in Henderson, call now.
Serious Bird Scooter Injuries for Which You Can File for Damages
Traveling at speeds of up to 19 miles an hour, e-scooter accidents can be pretty severe. Sometimes, accidents occur due to malfunctions, and renters rarely know the previous condition of the e-scooter they hire. At other times, distracted drivers could crash into Bird riders who maneuver through traffic by inserting themselves in dangerous positions between cars.
Debris, uneven road surface, and potholes could also crash e-scooter riders. The more common injuries associated with Bird scooter accidents include:
- Crushed bones and fractures, more so the face
- Head traumas
- Spinal cord and back injuries that result in pain and discomfort for up to a lifetime, and at times the whole body could go into paralysis
- Crushed limbs when a rider or pedestrian gets crammed in between or under vehicles after an accident
How Nevada Law Applies to Bird Scooter Accident Cases
State lawmakers in Nevada passed Assembly Bill 485 in 2019, effectively allowing city and local county governments to make their e-scooter regulations. This includes ordinances stipulating the use of the e-scooters, locations where their use is allowed, and the role of scooter-sharing companies. The regulations also include:
- A requirement for anyone renting an e-scooter to have attained 16 years of age
- E-scooter riders follow similar rules as bicycle and electric bicycle riders throughout the state
Since e-scooter riders have to follow Nevada’s bicycle laws, the following regulations apply to them:
- Always keeping to the right side of the street, as far right as one can manage to ride
- Using lamps and reflectors when riding at night for maximum visibility to other road users
- Two riders can travel side by side, but when traffic is available, they should ride single file
- Keeping a distance of at least three feet from cars
- Never hanging onto another vehicle when riding
- Using hand signals during stops and turns
Proving Liability in Bird Scooter Accidents
When a bird scooter accident occurs, the negligent party should be liable. Therefore, when you believe you were a victim of someone else’s negligence, you can institute a personal injury claim. Your case needs to prove the following:
- The other driver had the primary responsibility of safely operating their vehicle
- They failed in that responsibility (breach of duty of care)
- Their breach resulted in the accident at hand
- You suffered losses or injuries as a result
A personal injury claim can enable you to get compensated for the following:
- Lost wages
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Emotional stress
- Lowered earning potential
- Pain and suffering
What Should You Do Immediately Following a Bird Scooter Accident?
First, you should ensure that everyone who was part of the accident is fine. Make sure to also contact the police. Even though the accident does not involve conventional vehicles, a police report goes a long way in assisting insurance companies in assigning fault. The liable party will have to pay for the following damages and costs.
Be sure to collect as much information as possible about the accident. Such facts will help to smoothen the process of making any potential insurance claims or also assist in building a better case in case of any potential lawsuit. As you gather your facts, keep the dialogue with other parties to a minimum to avoid misinformation.
The following are some important details to note:
- Full name and license number of the driver if there was a car involved in the accident
- Contact details of all those involved in the accident, including name, phone number, and address
- Location and scene of the accident
- Name, badge number, and other contact details of the police officer who handles the accident scene
- Date and time of the accident
- Driving conditions, such as weather, debris on the road, faulty traffic lights, etc.
Do You Need a Henderson Bird Scooter Accident Lawyer?
The Pacific West Injury Law office advises anyone injured during a Bird scooter accident to seek the services of a skilled, dedicated, experienced personal injury attorney. Since Nevada laws are unspecific about Bird and other forms of electric scooters with regards to liability, a Henderson personal injury attorney will investigate your case. They will act as your reliable and strong advocate, claiming the damages that the liable parties induced.
Our Bird Scooter Accident Attorneys in Henderson Can Help You
Accidents can be a nightmare, especially when you have nowhere to turn for support. However, getting appropriate compensation can help lessen the burden and make it easier for you to adjust to your normal life.
Our Henderson Bird scooter accident attorneys do not relent until they ensure you get such compensation. Contact us today for a free consultation.