Even though motorcycles are smaller than most other vehicles on the road, they can still cause serious accidents. Unfortunately, some riders put others at risk with their careless or reckless behavior. If you were injured in a crash due to a motorcyclist’s negligence, we can help.
A Henderson negligent motorcycle rider accident attorney from Pacific West Injury Law can help to hold the at-fault party liable for your injuries and losses. According to Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) § 11.190, you only have two years to file a personal injury claim. Don’t miss your chance to pursue a settlement.
Who Can File a Negligent Motorcycle Rider Claim?
You may have a legal case if your accident was caused by a negligent rider and you sustained injuries in that crash. Anyone who was injured may be able to pursue compensation, including a:
- Driver or passenger in a car or truck
- Motorcycle rider or passenger
You can learn more about your legal rights by speaking with an experienced negligent rider attorney.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer for a Negligent Rider Accident?
Individuals who hire a personal injury attorney have several advantages over those that don’t seek legal counsel. Some of the many reasons to consider hiring a negligent motorcycle rider accident attorney in Henderson include:
- We pursue maximum compensation for you: Our firm carefully calculates any future costs, such as medical bills and lost wages.
- You can focus on your health: We take over all negotiations with the insurance company. You can put your energy into getting better and not answering phone calls or letters.
- Our firm partners with other professionals: As a personal injury law firm, we have access to resources that the average person does not. When necessary, we work with other professionals to gather evidence, recreate your accident and estimate lifelong medical costs.
What if You Don’t Have Money for an Attorney?
At Pacific West Injury Law, we know that accidents can turn your life upside down. The last thing you need right now is another bill. We believe that a lack of financial resources should not prevent justice. Responsible parties should be held accountable. That’s why our firm works on a contingency fee basis.
When we take on your negligent rider accident case, there are no upfront fees, and we do not charge an hourly rate. We only collect payment if we win and secure a settlement for you. The only fee we charge is entirely contingent on the outcome of your case. This fee will be assessed as a percentage of the compensation you recover from the liable party.
What Can Happen if You Don’t Hire an Attorney After an Accident?
Without legal representation, you could face an unfavorable outcome. One of the possible consequences of attempting to represent yourself is that you may be wrongly accused of negligence. The insurance company could say that you were responsible for the accident, when, in fact, you were not.
It is difficult, if not impossible, for individuals to adequately defend themselves without legal counsel. Another possible obstacle is that you will likely receive a lowball settlement offer. After an accident, you may receive a settlement offer right away. This amount could be less than what you are eligible for, leaving you without enough money to cover future medical costs.
Our Henderson negligent motorcycle rider accident attorneys BEAR DOWN on the insurance company. We won’t let them place the blame on you when someone else is responsible. We’ll fight for maximum compensation.
Make Sure to File Your Lawsuit on Time
Failing to file your negligent motorcycle rider accident lawsuit before the two-year statute of limitations expires could mean the loss of your right to recover compensation. Furthermore, special circumstances could alter the timeframe in which you can file, giving you mere months rather than years to file a lawsuit.
An experienced negligent rider accident lawyer can help identify if your time to file is less than the standard two years and ensure that all deadlines are met. Additionally, if the two years have already passed, a lawyer may be able to find grounds under which you can still file a lawsuit.
How Much Is the Average Negligent Motorcycle Rider Accident Settlement?
You may see average settlement amounts discussed. Some sources even offer settlement calculators to give you a ballpark figure. However, there are two reasons why average settlement amounts may not be reliable or helpful for your specific situation.
The first is that most, but not all, motor vehicle accident cases settle out of court. These settlement amounts are typically not a matter of public record, so we have no way to know how much was awarded to the injured party.
The second is that the few cases that do go to trial may not be a fair comparison to your case or even a typical case. Medical costs vary greatly throughout the country, and compensation for current and future lost wages is personalized, based on an individual’s occupation and time left in the workforce.
What Damages Does an Accident Settlement Cover?
Compensation for a motorcycle accident should cover the economic, non-economic, and punitive damages that are a result of the accident. Your negligent motorcycle rider accident lawyer in Henderson will work with you to calculate which damages are available in your case.
Economic damages, also called special damages, are losses that have a set cost or price. These damages can include:
- Lost income: Your injuries may keep you out of work for a while, or your injuries may be severe enough to prevent you from working in the same capacity ever again. You shouldn’t have to worry about bills.
- Accident-related medical bills: If someone else is responsible for your injuries, you shouldn’t have to pay for any related medical care. You should be compensated for everything from your ambulance ride to long-term in-home care.
- Property damage: After an accident, your vehicle likely needs repairs. It may even be undrivable and need to be replaced.
Non-economic damages are also called general damages. These are the intangible, yet no less impactful, effects of the accident. Common non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering: Many people experience physical pain and emotional distress after an accident. Some accident victims must live with physical limitations or permanent disfigurement.
- Psychological trauma: According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), individuals may suffer post-traumatic stress disorder after an accident. Others may experience anxiety about driving or being a passenger in a car.
- Diminished quality of life: Accident victims who suffer long-term consequences are often left unable to enjoy many activities that once brought them pleasure. This can include loss of consortium and is often related to a permanent disability or the death of a loved one.
Punitive damages are a monetary amount that the responsible party has to pay as a punishment. NRS § 42.005 sets forth the guidelines for determining punitive damages. Punitive damages are only awarded in a small percentage of cases where the at-fault party acted in a criminally negligent manner or with the intention of causing harm.
How Is Fault Established?
Our negligent motorcycle rider accident lawyers in Henderson work quickly and thoroughly to determine the cause or causes of your accident. When necessary, we interview witnesses, recreate the accident scene, and obtain video footage. Evidence can fade over time, so the sooner we get started on your case, the better.
Some people don’t contact an attorney right away because they wonder if they are at fault for their accident. One person’s recollection of the accident and what occurred from a legal standpoint may be two different things. The only way to know if you have a legal case is to speak with an attorney.
How Long Does It Take to Get Compensation?
It is difficult to say how long you will have to wait to recover compensation after an accident. While settling your case will lead to a quicker resolution than going to court, settlement negotiations can still be a lengthy process.
If your case does end up going to trial, you will likely be looking at years before you will recover the money you need. An experienced attorney can help resolve your case as quickly as possible to allow you to move on after an accident.
Let Us Help You With Your Negligent Motorcycle Rider Case
Our lawyers at Pacific West Injury Law are ready to help you pursue the money that you deserve. Contact us now to schedule a free consultation with a Henderson negligent motorcycle rider accident lawyer. We are available to answer your call 24/7.