If you’ve been injured in a bus accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Working with a bus accident lawyer in Henderson can increase your chances of getting a fair settlement. An attorney can help walk you through your options following the accident, represent you in court, and pursue your right to compensation for any injuries, and pain and suffering.
At Pacific West Injury Law, we help bus accident victims get the money they deserve. For more information and a free case review, please contact us at any convenient time.
When Should You Hire A Bus Accident Lawyer In Henderson?
If you’ve been in a bus accident, you need to consult an attorney. Even if you don’t notice any injuries on the day of the crash, symptoms may manifest themselves in the future. A bus accident attorney in Henderson can tell you how to proceed at the accident scene to improve the integrity of your case.
The Statute Of Limitations For Filing A Lawsuit
If you don’t hire a Henderson bus accident lawyer immediately after the accident occurs, don’t wait too long to do so. The statute of limitations for filing personal injury cases in Nevada is two years.
However, the longer you wait to hire a lawyer, the more time the other party will have to collect information that may reduce their liability. Waiting can also make collecting your own evidence and filing timely claims more difficult. Furthermore, special circumstances may apply to your case, which further limit the amount of time you have to file.
It is essential to note that special circumstances work both ways when it comes to the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit. Depending on the particulars of your case, you may still be eligible to file even after the two years have passed. Consult an experienced Henderson bus accident attorney to find out if you are still eligible to pursue compensation.
What Can A Henderson Bus Accident Attorney Do For Me?
A bus accident lawyer is a consultant, a representative, a negotiator, and a defender. When you hire a bus accident attorney in Henderson, you can expect the following assistance:
- Consultations about the integrity of your case
- Detailed explanations of your options
- Gathering, organizing, and analyzing evidence to help prove your case
- Determination of liability
- Filing a lawsuit on your behalf
- Negotiations with the liable party in order to achieve a fair settlement
- Litigation of your case, if necessary
While you are recovering from your injuries and getting your life back on track, an attorney can help you handle all legal and financial aspects of a personal injury or wrongful death claim. In Nevada, you aren’t obligated to hire a Henderson bus accident lawyer to file a claim. However, negotiating a fair settlement amount without professional legal assistance is nearly impossible.
Who Is At Fault In A Bus Accident?
Bus accidents are more complicated than traditional car accidents, where insurance companies deal with the claims. Legal issues that tend to arise with bus accidents include:
- Bus passengers don’t have insurance to cover the accident
- Buses are often operated by a government entity
- There are many parties that potentially hold a level of liability
Filing a claim against a government entity has a variety of nuances. It’s usually much more complicated than a standard insurance claim. That’s why it’s imperative to consult an attorney before taking any action.
An attorney can also help advise you on how to protect your rights, so representatives of the liable party don’t pressure you into signing a waiver or low settlement amount or trick you into answering questions that weaken your case.
Not all buses are owned, operated, or hired by government entities. At Pacific West Injury Law, our Henderson Bus accident lawyer can represent you in cases against charter buses, tour buses, school and city buses, and more.
What Is Comparative Liability?
When it comes to bus accidents, liability isn’t always straightforward. Just because you may be partially liable for the accident doesn’t mean you can’t be compensated.
When several parties are responsible for a collision, the comparative liability (also called comparative negligence) law kicks in. This law allows injured victims to collect damages even when they are partially responsible for the bus crash. Comparative liability laws vary from state to state. In Nevada, you are entitled to damages if your liability is less than 51%.
This means if your fault in an accident isn’t greater than the fault of the defendant (or group of defendants), you can collect damages. However, the compensation you receive will be proportional to your fault. For example, if the total compensation amount is $100,000, and you are 30% at fault for the bus accident, you will get $70,000.
How Much Compensation You Can Expect After A Bus Accident
Since each personal injury case is unique, the settlement amount is too. In Nevada, if you’ve been in a bus accident, you are entitled to economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are monetary losses you suffer as a result of your accident and include things like:
- Medical expenses – any past, current, and future accident-related medical expenses, including tests and doctors’ consultations.
- Loss of income – if your injuries keep you from returning to work, you can be compensated for lost wages. If these injuries force you to change your job, you are entitled to the difference in salary.
- Property damages – if your property (vehicle or personal possessions) was damaged in a bus accident, you can receive compensation.
Any other losses you suffer because of your accident are considered non-economic damages and include things like:
- Pain and suffering – if the accident reduced your quality of life, you can be compensated.
- Loss of consortium – if your loved one’s injuries affect your relationship (usually sexual relations), you can be compensated.
- Permanent disability or disfigurement – if the accident left you with a permanent disability or scarring.
The amount of compensation you will receive for these damages depends on a variety of factors, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- The permanence of your injuries
- The value of lost wages and future earnings
- Your fault in the accident
- The strength of your case
You can improve your chances of receiving fair compensation by collecting evidence, sticking to deadlines, and following your attorney’s directions to the letter.
Bus Accident Lawyers Work On A Contingency Fee Basis
People are often wary of hiring a lawyer because they fear they will not be able to afford to pay their fees. While this is a valid concern with many lawyers who charge high hourly rates, it should never be a problem when hiring a bus accident attorney.
Unlike lawyers who charge their clients regardless of the outcome of their case, a bicycle accident attorney will only collect a fee if you recover compensation. Rather than charge for the time they spend working on your case, these lawyers charge their clients based on results. They only collect a single fee, which is assessed as a fixed percentage of the money you recover.
That means your lawyer receives a higher fee the more money they get for you. Alternatively, if they fail to get you money, they don’t get paid.
What To Do Right After A Bus Accident Occurs
The first steps you take after a bus accident can affect your personal injury case. Getting medical care is of the utmost importance, whether you believe your injuries are severe or not.
- Call 911 even if your injuries seem minor.
- Try to get medical attention for yourself and other victims.
- Take as many photos of the scene as possible. Ask witnesses to help.
- Collect contact details from all people involved in the accident and from witnesses.
- Write down the contact names and badge numbers of police officers at the accident scene.
- Don’t make any statements or admit fault until you speak to an attorney. You aren’t legally required to make any statements.
These steps help keep you safe. Medical care ensures you get immediate treatment for pressing injuries. Furthermore, these steps provide documentation of the accident, the severity of your injuries, and the costs you incurred.
Whenever you get the chance, contact a lawyer. Besides giving valuable advice about your behavior at the scene, a legal expert can help you get your bearings and reduce stress.
Contact A Bus Accident Lawyer In Henderson Today
If you’ve been injured in a bus accident, you need an attorney. An experienced bus accident lawyer can take you through all aspects of a personal injury claim and ensure the best possible outcome.
At Pacific West Injury Law, we focus on helping bus accident victims get the compensation they deserve. To learn more about your options, please contact us at any convenient time.