Las Vegas is known for its fabulous casinos and extravagant entertainment venues. It is also one of the best shopping destinations in the country. The city is home to an assortment of stores, shopping malls, and outlets that cater to every taste, style, and budget. The sin city also boasts an impressive line-up of fantastic dining options.
Las Vegas property owners and managers should protect patrons, shoppers, guests, and visitors from reasonable and foreseeable crimes and injuries. On many occasions, these entities fail to take proper security measures resulting in assaults, robberies, injuries, and even deaths.
What Is Negligent Security?
Negligent security arises when an innocent person is injured by a third party and seeks to hold liable the owner or management of the property on which their injuries occurred.
Property owners and managers are legally obligated to implement well-thought-out, forceful and binding safety policies and procedures.
Negligent security laws are a subset of premise liability laws.
Negligent security occurs when a property owner fails to warn patrons and visitors of foreseeable dangers or respond to warnings or threats of criminal acts.
Four Elements Of Negligent Security
In a Las Vegas negligent security lawsuit, a plaintiff has to prove the following elements to succeed:
- The defendant had a legal duty of care toward the injured person.
- The defendant failed in their duty to provide adequate security measures.
- The defendant’s negligent security caused the injury.
- Adequate security measures would have prevented the harm or injury.
The plaintiff (victim) is required to prove that he was legally on the property, that the owner had a duty of care, and that the criminal act was foreseeable. It has to be further proved that monetary and physical damages resulted from criminal activity on the property.
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a crime as a result of negligent security in Las Vegas, Henderson, or North Las Vegas, consult a knowledgeable and experienced negligent security attorney at Pacific West Injury Law to learn more about your legal rights and whether you are entitled to hold accountable the owner or management of the property where the attack or assault occurred.
Common Causes Of Negligent Security In Las Vegas
Conditions and reasons that can make a property owner or manager liable for negligent security include:
- Aggressive customers or guests
- Violent or reckless employees
- Animal bites and attacks
- Lack of or broken locks, doors, fences, gates, and windows
- Failure of property owner or management to check identity cards
- Lack of controlled access checkpoints
- Inadequate safety measures despite a prior history of crimes
- Lack of surveillance cameras and alarms
- Improperly maintained landscape, floors, surfaces, or bushes
- Improper, dim, or poor lighting
- Insufficient emergency exits
- Incompetent or untrained or poorly supervised or understaffed security personnel
- Employment of individuals with criminal backgrounds
Locations Where Incidents Of Negligent Security Occur
Common sites named in negligent security claims in Las Vegas include:
- Casinos and entertainment venues
- Music concerts and sporting events
- Apartment or housing complexes
- College campuses, hospitals, and schools
- Shopping malls and shopping centers
- Gas stations and convenience stores
- Restaurants, hotels, motels, nightclubs, and bars
- Parking lots and parking garages
- Community swimming pools and public parks
- Nursing homes and day-care centers
- Movie theaters and museums
- Banks and ATMs
Criminal activities that are commonly reported in Las Vegas negligent security claims include:
- Armed robbery
Compensation For A Victim Of Negligent Security In Las Vegas
The amount of compensation in negligent security claims varies based on the nature of the crime, the degree of liability and the extent and nature of injuries and damages suffered. A knowledgeable Las Vegas negligent security attorney can help victims recover:
- Past and current medical costs
- Legal fees
- Future medical costs
- Lost wages and business income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Permanent injury and disability
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If someone has lost their life, family members can file a premises liability lawsuit against the at-fault party to receive damages for wrongful death.
Why Trust Pacific West Injury Law With Your Nevada Negligent Security Claim?
Every business has its own unique and personal security requirements. Negligent security cases are complex and challenging as there are no minimum security requirements prescribed by law for companies.
At Pacific West Injury Law, we understand the emotional, physical, and financial implications that an attack or assault can cause, and we know that it can happen almost anywhere. We utilize our immense knowledge and expertise to develop the best course of action for each victim.
Our team of negligent security lawyers in Las Vegas are experienced at:
- Identify the inadequate security measures the property owner had in place at the time of the attack or assault
- Determining the minimum level of security that would have been necessary to ensure the injured victim’s safety
- Studying and analyzing the crime rate at the location of the attack or assault
- Collecting and protecting incriminating evidence
- Studying footage from security cameras and closed circuit video
- Proving that the business owner should have been able to anticipate the criminal activity that caused the victim’s injury
- Consulting with experts to assess the value of a victim’s claim
- Helping determine fault and liable parties
- Getting through the maze of paperwork required in filing a negligent security claim in accordance with the Nevada Statute of Limitations which is two years from the date of the injury
- Ensuring a fair settlement is reached on behalf of the plaintiff
- Taking the case to trial if required
Contact A Las Vegas Negligent Security Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been attacked, sexually assaulted, or robbed during the holiday season at a retail store, casino, music concert, or mall in Las Vegas, Henderson, or North Las Vegas, you deserve to be duly compensated for the injuries suffered and other damages. Call an experienced negligent security lawyer at our firm for a free case evaluation right away.