Besides being a great way to improve strength, stamina, balance, and coordination, bicycling provides Las Vegas residents with a convenient, eco-friendly, and economical mode of transportation. Using bicycles can alleviate traffic congestion in Las Vegas and lower greenhouse emissions by reducing the number of motor vehicles on the road.
As bike enthusiasts on the roads increase, so does the risk of bicycle-related accidents. Nevada has one of the country’s highest bicyclist/pedestrian fatality rates.
Bicycles are smaller, more compact, and quieter, making them less visible and audible to motorists and others on the roads, making them vulnerable to accidents that can result in injuries to their riders.
Many bicyclists involved in accidents require months or even years of intensive medical treatment and rehabilitation before they recover.
Suppose you or someone you know has been injured while riding a bicycle in Las Vegas. In that case, it is necessary to understand your legal rights and the options available for pursuing compensation. In most bicycle accidents, riders are injured due to the carelessness and negligence of others and are entitled to compensation.
It is necessary to enlist the services of an experienced Las Vegas bicycle accident lawyer who will investigate your accident, review your medical records, and determine whether you have a valid sustainable claim.
Bicycle Laws In Nevada
Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other drivers in Nevada.
- If possible, Nevada motorists passing a bicycle must move into an adjacent lane to the left. If not, the motorist must pass with at least three feet of space between the vehicle and the bicycle.
- Nevada motorists may be charged with reckless driving if they are at fault in any collision with bicyclists or pedestrians. Penalties include a driver’s license suspension.
- When bicycles are ridden with other traffic, cyclists must obey the same rules and regulations as different types of vehicles. The safe interaction between bicyclists and motorists is the responsibility of both parties.
- Just like motor vehicle drivers, cyclists in Nevada can be cited with a ticket for traffic violations such as failing to stop at a red light or stop sign.
- Although Nevada state law does not prohibit biking on sidewalks, many local authorities do. Las Vegas police may cite people for sidewalk-riding on the Strip.
- Motorists are not allowed to intentionally interfere with the movement of a person lawfully operating a bicycle. At the same time, bicyclists may not intentionally interfere with the direction of a motor vehicle.
- At intersections, motorists must yield to cyclists like other vehicles and pedestrians.
- Nevada motorists must yield the right-of-way to a cyclist on a bicycle or in bike lane.
- Motorists in Nevada may only stop, park, or drive on a designated bicycle path or lane if they are entering or leaving an alley or driveway, performing official duties directed by a police officer, or if an emergency exists.
- Cyclists are required to ride on the right side of the roadway.
- Cyclists must obey all traffic signs and signals and use hand signals to let others know what they plan to do.
- Cyclists in Nevada should obey the law, wear a helmet, wear brightly colored clothing, and keep bikes in good repair.
- Cyclists in Nevada should only ride on the right side of the road, wear a headset when riding, and ride at night without required lights and reflectors.
- When bicycles r ridden at night, they must have a white lamp in the front visible from at least five hundred (500) feet away, a red tail reflector visible in a vehicle’s low beams from three hundred (300) feet away, reflective material on the sides of the bike visible in low beams from at least six hundred (600) feet away or a lamp visible from both sides from five hundred (500) feet away.
Potential Liable Parties In A Las Vegas Bicycle Accident
Possible liable parties in a Las Vegas bicycle accident could include:
If an accident was caused due to a defect in the design or the manufacturing of the bicycle, then the bike manufacturing company can be held liable for damages.
Motor Vehicle Drivers
The negligence of motorists causes most bicycle accidents. If an accident was caused by the motorist’s reckless driving, speeding, disobeying traffic laws, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, then a victim can pursue a claim against the at-fault driver and their auto insurance company.
Suppose potholes, uneven road surfaces, or other dangerous road conditions were the reason behind a bicycle accident. In that case, a victim can seek compensation from the government entities responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads.
Pedestrians can be held liable if they step into a cyclist’s path, causing the rider to swerve off the road and crash into other vehicles or fixed objects on the road. The pedestrian’s insurance company may help compensate for the victim’s injuries.
Pacific West Injury Law – Committed To Getting Favorable Results For the Most Vulnerable Road Users
At Pacific West Injury Law, our bicycle accident attorneys know how to compile evidence to support and substantiate an accident claim. Our personal injury team recreates accident scenes, collects witness statements, investigates the driving history of the at-fault driver, and reviews traffic camera footage, if available.
Our team of skilled negotiators and dynamic litigators in Las Vegas know how to effectively deal with insurers and their attorneys who try to deny the plaintiff’s claim or reduce the claim value significantly.
Contact A Las Vegas Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured while riding a bicycle in Las Vegas, Henderson, or North Las Vegas due to the carelessness or negligence of a driver of a passenger vehicle, truck driver, bus driver, motorcyclist, pedestrian, manufacturer of a defective bicycle or a product used in it, or a government entity, then you deserve to be duly compensated for the injuries suffered and other damages. Call an experienced Las Vegas bicycle accident lawyer at our firm for a free case evaluation right away.