Being involved in a truck accident is a scary experience. From light trucks to big rigs, any truck is going to be larger than you and your vehicle most likely leaving you with the brunt of the damage and possible injuries.
Being involved in litigation with the company to which the truck belongs can also be scary. It is not one individual versus another, but rather what could be a large trucking company versus you. If this happens to you, call in an experienced attorney such as Pacific West Injury Law. We can, and will, help.
Protect Your Rights After a Truck Accident
As an accident victim, you have rights. You have the right to claim financial damages and reimbursement for medical claims, damages to or replacement of your car, lost wages due to time off from work, and emotional damages from the stress of and recovery from the accident.
How a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
A personal injury attorney with experience in truck accident law can assist you. He will help you by:
- Sharing information with you about the legal system and your rights
- Gathering background information and evidence regarding the accident including dealing with law enforcement
- Contacting any witnesses or potential witnesses
- Being a liaison between you and your insurance company
- Handling all paperwork and filing your claim
- Seeing you receive the compensation you deserve
Compensation and Damages
Pacific West Injury Law will help you determine the damages and compensation you should ask for following a commercial truck accident in North Las Vegas. Some compensation can easily be determined. Other damages may need more investigation to determine.
Some things to expect include:
- Reimbursement for medical expenses including emergency room visits, hospitalization, surgery, physician follow-up appointments, x-rays, sutures, medications, and potential for future services.
- Vehicle and other property loss including anything that may have been in your car at the time of the accident that was damaged such as a laptop, electronic tablet, phone, equipment, or other packages.
- Lost wages due to time off from work for full rehabilitation.
- Pain and suffering including being restricted from things you would normally do due to injury along with mental trauma and anguish which may require therapy.
Nevada Statute of Limitations
As with a car accident, in Nevada, the statute of limitations for any attempt to recover personal injury damages from a truck accident is two years. This means any claim must be filed within two years of the actual date of the accident.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving North Las Vegas, call 702-602-HURT
Your Claim Following a Truck Accident
Once you have had immediate proper medical care for any injuries sustained in a truck collision, you should then contact an attorney with expertise in accident law. If the accident occurred in Northern Las Vegas, Pacific West Injury Law can help.
Our attorneys and staff are familiar with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) guidelines which every truck driver, no matter what size rig, must follow. We also have experience in handling truck accident claims in a variety of cases.
A successful claim is highly dependent upon proving fault. In this case, the proof will have to fall upon the truck driver. Various evidence can help determine fault including:
- Police reports
- No-doubt liabilities such as rear-end collisions, or if the truck was making a left turn, as the driver making a left-hand turn is almost always responsible for an accident
- Nevada and North Las Vegas traffic laws
- Eye-witness accounts
Negligent Truck Drivers
Negligence, whether by a truck or automobile driver, implies that the driver has a reckless disregard for the law and/or the safety of others. This can include texting while driving, driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or failing to comply with the speed limit or to stop at a stop sign, or hinder at a merge sign.
Negligence is something that law enforcement can often provide evidence of through its report. Anything you or a witness can further determine and verify at the time of the accident will also prove useful. For example, if a witness saw the truck driver run a red light, or blow through a stop sign, that is an obvious sign of neglect.
Yet another example of neglect for a truck driver could be not following the regulations set forth by FMCSA including abusing the amount of driving time allotted per driver in one particular time period or falling below the amount of rest time required between drive times.
Another abuse could be not following regulations for inspection scheduling and repairs, which may be the driver’s or company’s fault.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
Dealing with an insurance company, whether representing the individual truck driver or his company or even your own coverage, can be complex and confusing. Remember, they will try to settle for the least amount of dollars possible.
The experienced legal team of Pacific West Injury Law will handle all correspondence with all insurance companies involved for you.
Settlement amounts will differ from one accident to another. Factors that can influence a settlement include:
- Degree of injury
- Recovery time
- Degree of damages
- Cause of accident
- Faulty part or improper maintenance of the truck
- Driver fatigue
- Speeding or other possible driving infraction
- Driving while talking on the phone, or texting
- Driving under the influence
- Emotional and mental trauma
While each case is different, it is also important to research similar incidents, how they are settled, and the damage claim amount agreed upon. This is something the legal team should perform for you. With our experience with the State of Nevada statutes and experience navigating prior Nevada court rulings, we can help you make the best decision for your claim.
Through proper research, knowledge, and presentation, often truck driver accidents can be settled out of court.
North Las Vegas Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 702-602-HURT
Get in Touch with an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been involved in a truck accident, do not hesitate to call on legal professionals for help. The attorneys and staff at Pacific West Injury Law have experience in dealing with truck-related injuries to help you in your time of need. Give us a call, today. We will dedicate the time and resources to help you obtain the best resolution to your claim possible.