Imagine walking into a casino for an evening with friends and suddenly, you are flat on your back looking at the ceiling. Once you regain your bearings, the first thing you should do is seek medical care to make sure your injuries are not too serious.
When you arrive back home, you should immediately file a report with the property owner and contact a North Las Vegas slip and fall lawyer for assistance.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
Regardless of how aware you are of your surroundings, you may not be able to protect yourself from a slip and fall accident. A property owner who fails to maintain their property ensuring there are not dangerous conditions for those who are visiting can be held responsible for slip and fall injuries you suffer as a result of their negligence.
Some primary causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Hospitality Facilities — hotels, motels, casinos, and restau-rants often have hundreds of visitors daily. Additionally, slippery floors caused by over-waxing or spilled liquids are hazardous and can result in a slip and fall accident in North Las Vegas.
- Retail and Office Facilities — shopping centers, stand-alone retail stores, grocery stores, and offices of all kinds could have hidden hazards, frayed carpeting, uneven surfaces, and clutter in walkways all pose hazards to visitors.
- Event Venues — most of us do not think twice about our safety when we enter a sports arena, movie theater, or another stadium-type facility. However, these venues often pose hidden hazards because of clutter, spilled food and drink, and poor maintenance leaving floors uneven and carpet defects which can result in a slip and fall injury.
- Nursing Homes — the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) study shows that more than one out of four seniors have a fall. Some of these occur in nursing homes meaning our most vulnerable loved ones are at risk.
- Workplace Accidents — the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) shows the bulk of workers’ compensation claims are filed annually as a result of slip and fall accidents. These are often caused by slick flooring in the workplace.
- Private Homes — some victims fall on a friend or family member’s property. Holes in the yard, broken steps, and clutter can result in a serious injury.
Victims of a slip and fall accident should seek legal guidance from a North Las Vegas personal injury attorney at Pacific West Injury Law. You should understand your legal rights and determine whether you are eligible to seek compensation for your injuries.
Premises liability law in Nevada was firmly upheld by the Nevada Supreme Court in a case known as Foster v. Costco Wholesale Corp. What this means is a property owner has an obligation to those who are on their property legally to ensure they remain safe.
This means the property owner has a “duty of care” to those who are not trespassing.
Duty of Care
Property owners have a duty of care to ensure their property is safe for those who are legally entitled to be on the property. Those persons who are legally on a property are defined in Nevada Revised Statutes §41.515 (2017).
The exception to this duty of care may be modified should the trespasser be a child, since there is a heightened expectation that a child will always be safe on a property and that conditions do not exist that would cause them harm if they wandered onto a property.
Broken down, this means the property owner must ensure that floors are not slippery and free from clutter. Property owners have a responsibility to ensure that should they be aware of a hazard; they take steps to address the hazard in a timely manner. While the repairs or cleanup is pending, warning signs should be in the area to notify those who are on the property.
Who Is Liable?
Property owners can be held liable for the injuries a victim suffers in a slip and fall accident. In most cases, a property owner will have insurance that covers such a liability.
However, negotiating with an insurance company can be difficult which is why it is generally a good idea to contact a North Las Vegas slip and fall injury lawyer who understands premises liability law.
Hire a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in North Las Vegas
The attorneys at Pacific West Injury Law are often asked why a victim of a slip and fall accident should hire them instead of filing their own claim.
There are several good reasons for this including:
We Will Evaluate Your Claim
Unless you have a legal background, you may not know how to evaluate your claim. Insurance companies will be working hard to make sure they pay you as little as possible for your slip and fall injury.
We can make sure your claim is rigorously evaluated and get you the compensation you deserve.
We Help File Your Claim
Filing insurance claims can be confusing. Mistakes can cause unnecessary delays and in some cases can result in claims being denied.
We can help you file your claim and make sure it is done correctly the first time.
We Can Get You Compensation
At Pacific West Injury Law, we know insurance companies are not looking out for your best interests.
We will work tirelessly to make sure you get the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries.
Damages from Your Slip and Fall Accident
Falls can cause a host of issues including broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, and injuries to the head, neck, and shoulders which often results in serious long-term health issues.
We can help you recover financially by seeking compensation for your lost wages, out-of-pocket medical costs, and more.
Your Injuries and Pain and Suffering
Victims of a slip and fall accident often suffer debilitating pain. Broken bones may heal eventually, but victims may require physical therapy which can be painful. We will do our best to ensure you are compensated for your pain and suffering.
We also understand every injury case is unique — some victims endure more pain and suffering, longer recovery time, and the potential for additional physical problems later as a result of their injuries. We will review your medical records and make sure you are getting a reasonable settlement for your injuries.
Settling Your Case
Our goal will always be to preserve your best interests in all slip and fall injury cases. Insurance companies often make “low ball” offers to get the matter resolved quickly. They hope you will settle quickly to minimize their liability.
However, our goal will be to make sure you are not suffering financially as a result of your injuries. We hold property owners accountable for their negligence, and we are not satisfied until your case is settled. At Pacific West Injury Law, we do not accept any legal fees until we are able to successfully settle your case.
Our North Las Vegas Slip and Fall Injury Lawyers Are Here for You
Did you suffer a serious injury on a property in Nevada? An experienced personal injury attorney can guide you through the process and help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact Pacific West Injury Law today at (702) 602-4878.