The legal experts at Pacific West Injury Law understand the skilled support and compassion you need after a semi-truck accident in Las Vegas. They have settled hundreds of semi-truck accidents and helped victims get fair compensation. We’ll work closely with you and protect your rights throughout settlement negotiations or trials.
But first things first, you must consider several actions immediately after the accident.
Who’s Liable for a Semi-Truck Accident?
Liability determination in semi-truck accidents is different from other accident cases. These accident claims comprise the liability of companies. For instance, an on-duty semi-truck driver may vicariously blame the organization responsible for the run.
Fortunately, a knowledgeable semi-truck accident lawyer in Las Vegas can shed light on liability after a road accident. Generally, the following parties (or their combinations) could be accountable for your damages:
- The trucking company – Due to an amendment to federal trucking laws, trucking companies can’t escape liability when they hire independent contractors instead of staff. They’re still vicariously liable for their driver’s negligence and actions, as well as if the accident resulted from poor vehicle maintenance, improper training, or deadline pressures.
- The cargo loading agency – If the cargo loading company is different from the trucking company, it could be blamed for an overload accident. When the semi-truck is too heavy, the driver will have a hard time controlling it.
- Las Vegas City – The city could also be liable for the semi-truck accident if a defective or dangerous roadway caused the accident. It must maintain reasonably safe roads, and failure to identify and fix defects could be negligence if the city is reasonably responsible.
Assigning liability for a semi-truck accident requires in-depth facts investigations. The inquiries may involve revisiting the scene, checking the carrier’s accident history, interviewing eyewitnesses, and hiring experts to help determine what or who caused the accident. Also, there could be two or more parties involved. So always work with a reliable attorney.
What Types of Compensation Can You Receive?
A semi-truck accident can be overwhelming, and you deserve fair payment to cater for your medical expenses and other damages. Typically, victims receive compensation under general damages or economic/special damages.
Non-Economic or General Damages
These damages come up naturally as a result of a defendant’s wrongful actions. Thus, there has to be a clear link between your injury and the defendant’s actions or behavior. Most of the time, their ability to anticipate the injury or harm severity cannot bar plaintiffs from being fully compensated for general damages.
For instance, an at-fault driver who exacerbates bodily injuries of another driver with a rare bone condition is liable for the resultant general damages even if the victim might not have experienced the level of damages without the ailment. While personal injuries may vary, general damages may include:
- Physical disfigurement
- Physical impairment
- Mental anguish
- Physical pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of companionship for family members if the case involves wrongful death
Economic or Special Damages
These damages are aimed at financially compensating the injured party’s losses resulting from the defendant’s actions. These out-of-pocket expenses are arrived at by summing up every quantifiable financial loss. Therefore, you must prove the losses or expenses with specificity.
For instance, the at-fault party or their insurer is liable for the full value of a totaled vehicle belonging to the other driver. The main types of special damages include:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Repair and replacement of damaged property
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Loss of irreplaceable items
Notably, you can only file a claim within two years from the date of the semi-truck accident. However, filing a compensation claim entails lots of legal legwork; hence you need prompt legal counsel.
How Can an Attorney Help Your Case?
You deserve fair compensation for all your economic and non-economic damages. Still, the liable party (and their insurance provider) will strive to keep the settlement amount as low as possible. At the same time, you’ll be going through treatment and may not have the time or energy to gather all facts of the case and defend your claim.
Our reliable and knowledgeable attorney will come through for you in the following ways:
- Conducting in-depth investigations and gathering the necessary facts to build a strong case
- Handling the paperwork and administrative work and representing you in court
- Guiding you with the law to aggressively pursue compensation
- Helping you through the claims process
- Gathering the necessary medical records
- Aggressively negotiating for a fair settlement
Immediate Actions to Take After a Semi-Truck Accident
The first priority is your well-being and that of other people involved in the accident. So seek medical attention even if you think you’re not injured because symptoms may develop after days. Ensure you keep every record throughout the treatment process following the accident as they’re crucial to your case.
It’s essential to contact an attorney from Pacific West Injury Law as soon as you can. If possible, collect the contact details of those involved and witnesses. But if you can’t do it yourself at the scene, the information will be included in the police report.
Don’t agree to anything or sign any document that the trucking organization or their insurer. Both are focused on recording as minimal losses as possible, limiting your rights to be fairly compensated. With a reliable attorney, you can be sure of fair treatment.
Let a Reliable Attorney at Pacific West Injury Handle Your Case
If a semi-truck accident in Las Vegas caused injuries and damages, you deserve the maximum compensation. But as the drivers, trucking company owners, and dispatchers blame each other, there’s a high chance of being denied a fair settlement.
Don’t let yourself into this position. When you reach out to our experienced semi-truck accident lawyers for legal representation, they’ll fight to get you a fair settlement that adequately covers your hospital bills, lost income, and other damages. Try our free case review today.