Legally speaking, 18-wheeler accidents and regular car crashes are apples and oranges. Damage recovery after a truck accident is relatively challenging and time-consuming, and liability isn’t as straightforward as standard vehicle accidents. An experienced truck accident attorney from Pacific West Injury Law can be your best shot at getting justice and earning fair compensation.
The Challenges of Filing a Claim without Legal Representation
Truck-related injury claims are relatively more complex than those resulting from simple car accidents. Of course, this could be due to these vehicles’ massive volume and the severity of the injuries inflicted.
But what makes eighteen-wheeler injury claims more unique and complex?
The Sector Is Greatly Regulated
Understandably, 18-wheelers work under numerous and relatively complex regulations. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration provides several rules that govern interstate trucking activities, and drivers must also comply with Hazardous Materials Regulations. This makes it hard to determine every element after an accident.
Insurance adjusters, the court, or involved attorneys must assess numerous factors to prove negligence and determine fault. These vital elements are more complex for 18-wheeler accidents, and it’ll be harder to investigate and gather evidence thoroughly. The available proof determines the direction of your case, and you cannot afford to get it wrong.
Numerous Potentially Liable Parties
Eighteen-wheeler accidents have the possibility for multiple potential defendants. In some circumstances, the driver could be directly liable, but other parties may still be held to account. These include:
- Other drivers
- Trucking companies
- Truck owners
- Parts manufacturers
- Freight forwarding companies
- Truck maintenance providers
- Cargo loaders
It’s hard to hold any of the above parties accountable if you don’t understand the applicable rules and investigation procedures.
Trucks Carry Bigger Policies
Insurance companies consider vehicle size when determining the cost of coverage, and eighteen-wheelers can be about 40 times costlier than standard policies. Consequently, most insurers will do everything to avoid liability after an accident, and there’s a great chance that you may recover fewer damages than you expected or nothing at all.
You Need a Unique Strategy
Plaintiffs in typical vehicle accidents can choose between arbitration, mediation, or settling through a court process. But they require a unique strategy to determine the most favorable solution for 18-wheeler accident claims. This can be difficult for anyone unfamiliar with the relevant laws.
What Can an Experienced Attorney Do?
It’ll be challenging to get what you deserve if you file the claim alone without legal representation. What’s more, you won’t be in the best state to go through the numerous complexities as you’ll probably be recovering. Fortunately, you can evade all these by partnering with an experienced 18-wheeler accident lawyer.
They’ll help your case in the following ways:
- Attorneys understand the vital elements of the case and will conduct independent investigations focused on the critical components.
- They’ll gather and assess all your medical records, reports, and receipts for any additional expenses related to the truck accident damages.
- Your Las Vegas 18-wheeler accident lawyer will involve expert witnesses to aid the case for more complex accidents.
- Eighteen-wheeler accidents have numerous potentially liable parties, but your attorney will identify all of them and examine their legal responsibility.
- They’ll help you fill out the relevant claim forms and ensure you provide all supporting documents.
- Insurance complexities won’t bother you as they’ll determine the relevant insurance policies to your case.
- They’re vastly experienced, hence better placed to challenge any legal arguments that blame you partly or in whole for your injuries.
- As negotiation experts, eighteen-wheeler accident lawyers will handle negotiations with insurance companies.
- At first, it’s not easy to tell whether the settlement offer provided is fair. But they’ll evaluate all the damages and determine if what the insurance company is offering is reasonable and appropriate.
What Legal Remedies Will Your 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney in Las Vegas Fight For?
There’re no laws defining specific settlement amounts or injury claim verdicts. Instead, the relevant compensation elements and other factors will determine the outcome of your 18-wheeler accident claim and the remuneration you’re entitled to receive.
These compensation elements are known as damages and comprise compensatory and punitive damages.
This is the compensation centered on the accident and its impact on the victim’s life. The money can’t entirely revive their initial condition, but it’s meant to restore an injured plaintiff to their previous life by covering their out-of-pocket expenses. There are two categories of compensatory damages:
Your Las Vegas attorney will compile a slit of tangible losses related to the 18-wheeler accident, known as economic damages. They’re relatively easier to determine by attaching dollar values, and you can prove them through receipts and other relevant documentation. They include:
- Restoration and replacement of damaged property
- Medical costs like emergency services, hospital bills, surgeries, medication, and future therapies
- Lost earnings
- Costs related to added life adjustments, like wheelchairs and caregiver payments
Non-Economic (General) Damages
Your 18-wheeler accident lawyer in Las Vegas will also consider the subjective general damages, which compensate for the accident’s actual physical and emotional harm. These include:
- The injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium for surviving loved ones
The court could also award punitive damages, but this happens on rare occasions. The remuneration isn’t targeted at restoring your financial position but punishes defendants for malice and extreme negligence.
An Experienced Las Vegas 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Is Willing and Ready to Help
The implications of an 18-wheeler accident are immense; hence it’s sensible to seek compensation from the responsible party. But filing a successful injury claim isn’t as smooth, and only a reputable attorney will guide you through it. Fortunately, you don’t have to continue searching.
Pacific West Injury Law houses reputable Las Vegas attorneys with years of experience handling such accident claims throughout the state, and they’re ready 24/7 to evaluate your case at no cost. Don’t wait any longer – call now.