Nevada’s year-round warm weather provides plenty of opportunities to get outside and enjoy a bike ride. Cyclists use the roads to commute to work, and fitness enthusiasts bike through paths and trails of our many parks.
However, cycling can be dangerous. Cyclists are at a disadvantage when riding on the same streets that motorists use. Bikes don’t offer the same amount of protection that a car does. Even cautious cyclists who wear protective gear can experience devastating injuries.
If you or a loved one have been struck by a car while biking, you may be able to pursue compensation with a personal injury claim. Even if the insurance company is working with you, an Enterprise bicycle accident attorney with Pacific West Injury Law may be able to maximize your financial recovery.
Causes of Bicycle Crash Injury Accidents
When signage is unclear, lanes aren’t marked, or a cyclist is hard to see due to lack of lightning or dark clothing, accidents can happen. Many risk factors can contribute to a bicycle accident, but motorist inattention is a big factor. Some of the common reasons for bike accidents in Enterprise are:
- Motorists entering the bike lane
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Distracted driving or texting and driving
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Driving at dangerous speeds
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Making unsafe turns
- Entering the road immediately in front of a cyclist
- Entering traffic from a driveway or parking lot
- Hitting cyclists when they open the door, dooring
- Making unsafe lane changes
- Driving under the influence
Liability in a bicycle accident isn’t always as obvious as it first seems. The State of Nevada follows the doctrine of comparative negligence. A percentage of fault can be assigned to each person involved in the crash, including the cyclist.
If the opposing party’s lawyer can prove that you share 50% or more of the blame for the accident, you’ll be unable to recover damages. An attorney can defend you against allegations of fault and work to preserve your rights to collect compensation.
Benefits of Hiring a Bicycle Accident Lawyer to Help with Your Claim
Lawyers bring several benefits to a personal injury claim. Their assistance can help to alleviate the stress of navigating the insurance claims process and free you to focus on recovering your health.
They also perform several duties that aim to maximize the amount of money you can recover in a settlement or court award. Some of the things a lawyer can do for you include:
- Dealing with emails, phone calls, and communications from the insurance adjusters, attorneys, and defendant representatives involved in your case
- Conduct a comprehensive evaluation of all damages to accurately assess the value of your claim
- Provide expert knowledge of personal injury law and legal advice for taking the next step
- Gather all evidence that affects your claim, such as footage from traffic cams, security cameras, and cell phone video from witnesses
- Identify all sources of liability to improve your chances of collecting a fair and just settlement
- Locate and contact eye-witnesses and expert witnesses for testimony
- Provide compassionate legal guidance
- Conduct all negotiations and provide aggressive legal representation
If the reckless behavior of another party or the negligence of a municipal entity contributed to your injuries, a bicycle accident lawyer in Enterprise will have the resources to search for the evidence needed to prove your claim.
What if I Walked Away From a Bicycle Accident and Discovered I Was Injured Later?
First, it’s important to get a medical evaluation after any accident. If you haven’t yet, do so now.
Bicycle crash victims can be tricked by the endorphins released by the body in response to the traumatic event they experienced. The body’s response to frightening situations is to produce adrenaline.
This can enable you to get up and walk away from a crash without knowing you are actually hurt. Some injuries can go unrecognized for hours or even days. However, if you feel something isn’t right and recently experienced a bike crash, seek medical attention now.
Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle crash victims can experience multiple injuries. They can range from minor bruising and lacerations to catastrophic injuries or even fatal injuries. When you are hurt in a bike crash, the pain can be extreme, and healing can take a substantial amount of time.
Some of the injuries we have pursued personal injury claims for include:
- Neck, back, and shoulder injuries
- Paralysis, spinal cord injuries
- Facial injuries, broken teeth
- Hearing and vision impairment or loss
- Leg and foot injuries
- Torn ligaments and tendons
- Hip injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limbs, amputation
- Internal organ damage
- Road rash
- Head injuries, concussions, skull fractures
- Fractured and shattered bones and joints
- Skin lacerations, bruises, and infections
- Arm and hand injuries
- Burn injuries
A bicycle accident lawyer in Enterprise can work with financial and economic professionals, doctors, and healthcare planners to accurately predict the cost of ongoing treatment or complications. You can avoid accepting an undervalued settlement with help from an attorney.
What Damages Can Be Collected in a Pedestrian Accident Case?
Every claim is unique, but the damages considered in a bicycle accident injury claim can be:
- Your Medical care costs
- Ongoing medical treatments
- Loss of wages and loss of future earning potential
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional trauma
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
Many bicyclists who enter the hospital with severe injuries can run out the insurance limits before their stay is over. You may be able to pursue a civil claim with help from a lawyer to ensure that your costs are covered.
Contact an Enterprise Bicycle Accident Law Firm Today
Recovering from the injuries caused by a bike crash is hard enough. Most injury victims simply don’t have the mental energy or physical ability to apply the effort needed to secure a successful outcome to a claim.
The attorneys at Pacific West Injury Law understand the potential obstacles and know the financial difficulties a bicycle accident can create. We can take the legal burdens off your plate to give you the time you need to heal and pursue your claim aggressively.
An Enterprise bicycle accident lawyer with Pacific West Injury Law may be able to help with your case. Please contact us today to learn more about bicycle accidents, evidentiary requirements for bicycle accident lawsuits, and the next steps you should take.